Our engineers create container and packaging concepts, manage the official approvals procedures and accompany the manufacture of the containers.
DESIGN AND ACCEPTANCE OF CONTAINERS
Experienced engineers are available for the development of new container concepts, for the acceptance procedure and for their manufacture.
Containers for the transportation of radioactive materials have to go through a complex approval process in order to ensure that even if there is an accident during transportation, there can be no danger to people and the environment.
Design and development
Orano NCS GmbH has a multi-disciplinary team of experts for the development and licensing of new container concepts and for the maintenance of existing container licenses.
An important part of container development, apart from the aforementioned safety analyses, are the design expertise and the creation of manufacturing drawings by our technical draughtsmen, using current design tools (3D-CAD, rendering).
RANGE OF ANALYSIS SERVICES
1. Structural-mechanical calculations
1.1 Dynamic and quasi-static calculations using LS-DYNA
- Calculations using LS-DYNA
- Calculation of drop tests
- Recalculation of material tests
- Contact modelling
- Modelling of bolted and welded joints to meet requirements
- Strain rate-dependent material
- Material failures
- Coupled thermal-mechanical analyses
1.2 Static calculations using ANSYS Mechanical
- Linear and non-linear
- Contact problems
- Detailed calculations on the basis of sub-models
- Detailed analysis of welds on the basis of the structural stress and notch stress concept
- Coupled thermal-mechanical analyses
1.3 Static strength verification and fatigue strength and fatigue life verification in accordance with the FKM guideline
1.4 Bolt design according to VDI 2230
1.5 Verifications for pressure vessels in accordance with the AD 2000 leaflets
1.6 Verifications for load securing concepts in accordance with DIN EN 12195 and VDI 2700
2. Thermal calculations
2.1 Stationary and transient calculations using ANSYS Mechanical
- Simulation of combustion processes taking into account phase changes and heat generation
- Consideration of heat conduction, convection and radiation
- Thermal contact modelling
- Derivation of convection boundary conditions on the basis of the VDI Heat Atlas
3. Nuclear safety analyses
3.1 Calculations using the SCALE code package
- Determining dose rates for neutron and gamma sources
- Criticality safety analyses
- Burnup computation for determining source terms and composition of fuel
3.2 Activity release analyses according to ISO 12807
Orano NCS STORAGE SERVICE
Orano NCS GmbH is licensed in accordance with the Radiation Protection Ordinance to handle and store low-level radioactive materials in in two storage buildings at the Hanau site.
A third storage building is currently in the process of being approved.
At the Hanau site, a total of 2000m² storage space is available in two storage buildings for low-level radioactive, packaged waste.
A § 7 radiation protection permit exists for both storage buildings (unlimited). In both buildings, cranes are installed for handling packaging (mostly standardised containers).
A building application has been submitted for a further building with an additional 2000m² of storage space; the documents for the approval according to radiation protection are to a large extent complete.
In addition, the site includes the possibility to store e.g. radioactively contaminated plant and equipment in approved 20’ containers. These outdoor storage buildings also have radiation protection permits according to § 7. Mobile cranes are used for handling in the outdoor storage buildings.
Orano NCS CONTAINER SERVICE
Orano NCS GmbH offers maintenance, testing, repair and service of accessories for containers from the entire front-end area.
Orano NCS GmbH has its own fleet of internationally approved transport containers with the necessary equipment for handling.
Where required, additional transport containers can be made available to our customers via existing usage agreements.